- Byron Yoga Centre – 6 Byron Street, Byron Bay – 11-minute drive from Elements. Discover the unique Purna technique in flowing or restorative classes in the town centre.
- Space Foundation Yoga – 144 Jonson Street, Byron Bay – 13-minute drive from Elements. Byron’s most varied timetable including power, yin, pilates and restorative daily classes.
- Creature Yoga – 11 Banksia Drive unit 6B, Byron Bay – 17-minute walk or 4-minute drive from Elements. Vinyasa and Yin taught all day, every day. Open to beginners and long-term yogis alike.
- Bikram Yoga – 8A Grevillea St, Byron Bay – 20-minute walk or 5-minute drive from Elements. For hot yoga, go here. Multiple hatha-based classes are offered every day at 38ºC.
- Ashtanga Yoga – 11 Blackbutt Pl, Byron Bay – 15-minute drive from Elements. Drop-in mid-morning Ashtanga classes Monday to Saturday. Beginners and yogis all welcome.
- Byron Yoga Lounge – 1a Banksia Drive, Byron Bay – 17-minute walk or 4-minute drive from Elements. Byron’s Iyengar centre catering for all levels. Studios also in Lennox Head and Mullumbimby.
Take a deep breath in, pause and discover yourself in the present moment. Breathe out and feel your worries wash away. If you wish to extend your yoga practice beyond the resorts daily morning beachfront yoga which is included in your rate and is weather permitting then read on.
Yoga in Byron Bay has grown from its earliest sun salutation in the late 1980s. Since then, it has expanded and evolved to become a central aspect of Byron Bay’s health and well-being culture. It has even been the birthplace to a whole new form of yoga.
Today, Byron Bay is a focal point for yoga in Australia. From drop-in beginners Vinyasa classes to early morning advanced Ashtanga courses, there’s a shala to suit every kind of yogi here.
Discover our guide to the best yoga in Byron Bay.
Byron Yoga Centre – Purna Yoga
Experience Byron Bay’s own unique form of yoga in the centre of town.
Purna yoga was created by Byron resident, John Ogilvie. Meaning ‘integrated or completed’, Purna yoga is a hatha-based form that focuses on correct alignment and clear breath work. Open to anyone, classes range from free-flowing to restorative and take place every morning and afternoon.
Byron Yoga Centre’s daily classes offer a wonderfully accessible yoga experience.
Variety and choice is offered by both these Byron Bay yoga shalas.
Most classes are open to all levels of experience and cost $20/ class (drop-in rate). Space Foundation Yoga offers the widest range of yoga classes in Byron Bay, including restful Yin, dynamic Vinyasa, Power classes and even Pilates. Creature Yoga focuses on Vinyasa and Yin, running up to five classes a day from morning to evening.
For a mid-week reset, try Space Foundation’s Slow Flow class from 9.30-11am every Wednesday.
Bikram Yoga – Hot Yoga
It doesn’t take long to work up a sweat when you’re practicing yoga in a 38ºC room!
Open up to a fuller appreciation of your physical potential through Bikram yoga. Practicing in such heat supports you to explore greater ranges of motion and burn fat more readily. This centre’s fully certified teachers lead hatha-based classes that consist of a series of asana (yoga poses) designed to strengthen the body and calm the mind.
Take plenty of water with you and aim to stay in the room for the whole class.
Ashtanga Byron – Ashtanga Yoga
Following a set series of asana, Ashtanga yoga is a physical and flowing practice.
Classes at this quiet shala are taught in a traditional way by experienced teachers Dena and Jack. There are led mid-morning classes that are usually open to all and early morning Mysore classes for more experienced students. Ashtanga may be one of the more challenging forms of yoga but it richly rewards the hard work it demands.
As this shala runs closed courses, it’s best to check in advance which yoga classes you’ll be able to attend during your Byron Bay visit.
Byron Yoga Lounge – Iyengar Yoga
For perfect alignment and posture, practice Iyengar. Classes have a strong focus on correct technique and are aided by props such as bolster cushions and straps.
Byron Yoga Lounge boasts some of Byron Bay’s most experienced teachers who carefully guide participants through the diverse asana and deep breath practice. Classes are offered for all levels of experience, from complete beginners to experienced Iyengar practitioners.
Try Sunday’s restorative class, where the gentler focus helps your body to recuperate.
Want more inspiration for things to do in Byron Bay? Check out our Ultimate Guide to Byron Bay.