Beyond the beaches, shopping in Byron Bay has become a major draw, attracting visitors from across the globe.
From the sun-soaked streets and beaches to the bars and restaurants bustling as the sun sets, visitors and locals can be seen sauntering with a casual boho chic confidence.
Many wear garments created right here by talented local designers, who effortlessly make this town endlessly Instagram-worthy at any time of day.
But what is the style that has made Byron such a must-visit fashion destination? And where are the shops you simply cannot leave without visiting?
We asked the team at Mister Zimi, an Australian fashion favourite, to give us a perspective from inside the fashion world. We wanted to find just what makes Byron Bay fashion so special and reveal the secrets of the ‘Byron style’ that’s such a sought-after trend today.
Let’s go shopping in Byron Bay.
What is the Byron Style?
According to the good folk at Mister Zimi, the Byron style isn’t actually just one look. It’s more of an attitude to the clothes you wear and the way you wear them.
“Everyone dances to their own drum in Byron Bay, and the fashions are as individual as the people who live and travel here.”
Byron is best known for its boho chic – a style that’s relaxed, cool, comfortable and reflective of the town’s famous laid-back attitude. Contemporary twists on vintage styles, bright prints, earthy tones and natural materials pervade many of the best local designers’ finest creations.
Alongside swimwear, jumpsuits and sundresses are key favourites. This is in part because of their easy-to-wear function in this idyllic coastal town: “one item thrown over a swimsuit and you’re done!”
What’s special about this attitude is that every visitor can find their own distinct expression of the town’s quintessential style. And it’s a style which, at its core, is designed to make us feel confident and comfortable so every visitor to the town’s boutiques can leave looking as good as they feel.
Shopping in Byron Bay – part 1
Ready to discover your next wardrobe? Let’s take a look at where to visit for the latest Byron fashions.
The centre of Byron town is petite enough to wander around easily, discovering many of the best local designers along the way.
Some of these talented locals have featured alongside international designers in the Byron Bay International Fashion Festival – one event that has certainly helped turn this town into a key fashion destination in Australia.
Here’s a brief run-down of Byron’s must-visit shops:
– Auguste – Floral patterns and flowing designs for women and girls from a talented designer born-and-bred in Byron.
– Spell & The Gypsy – Modern boho fashions, designed right here in Byron Bay and loved around the world.
– Arnhem – A local designer who has helped put Byron Bay on the world stage. Head here for floral, earthy, tribal patterns and vintage styles.
– Enzo & Totto – Browse a curated selection of latest women’s fashions from Australia, Europe and the USA.
– Rowie – Another Byron born brand creates beautiful easy to wear, effortless, feminine and artisanally crafted clothing
– Hope & May – Inspired by the international cultures, design and style of the owner’s life in Asia, this boutique is a highly curated collection of fashion, accessories and décor.
Shopping in Byron Bay – Part 2
After exploring the town centre, head to the Arts & Industrial Estate (the Byron Train is the easiest way to travel) where you’ll find a whole host of boutique stores, pop-up shops and artisanal workshops.
Take a stroll around Centennial Circuit, Banksia Drive and the numerous small streets that make up this revitalised shopping district.
– St Agni – Handmade leather footwear and women’s clothes with a distinctive Mediterranean style.
– Stitch and Hide – Leather goods that beautifully blend the fashions of Australia and Southern California.
– Epokhe Eyewear – The coolest eyewear in Byron Bay, designed here and made in Italy.
– Pirates Dreaming – Jewellery for the rule breakers and style makers. Enough said!
– Nangnata – Premium fashion and lifestyle goodies with a modern studio-to-street flare and sustainably-minded design soul.
– Yoli & Otis – Women’s, men’s and children’s fashions of simple elegance, made with all natural dye and a sense of sustainability sewn into every fibre.
– McTavish – In the world of Australian surfboards, there are board shapers who have become famous for their ability to perfect. Bob McTavish is one of them. What better souvenir of your Byron Bay trip? Available in the industrial estate and a smaller outpost store in the centre of Byron Bay.
And, of course, a short stroll north is arguably the most recent exciting recent addition to shopping in Byron Bay – Habitat.
This minimalist complex has curated a selection of the best local designers’ latest creations. There’s a delicious eatery, Barrio, across the courtyard and a whole host of health and wellbeing spaces, such as the boutique pilates studio, BENDE Byron Bay.
And if you’re feeling a little more adventurous, head out to Bangalow in the Byron hinterland.
Just 20 minutes’ drive from Elements of Byron, this small village is packed with beautiful boutique stores. Visit ROWIE to discover another talented local designer (she also has a store in Byron), and Millar & More for irresistible fashions and homewares.
With so many talented designers and stunning boutique shops in Byron Bay, you may want to arrive with plenty of space in your luggage!