Looking for adventure in Byron Bay?
While this sleepy coastal town may be best known for sun, sand, sea and surf, it is also home to a wide range of adrenaline-fuelled, all-action activities.
From hurtling through blue skies on a tandem skydive to exploring the depths of Cape Byron’s rich waters or climbing a mountain for panoramic views, there’s an adventure for every taste here.
To help you plan a week of adventure in Byron Bay, we’ve created a guide that draws together the adrenaline-fuelled with the awe-inspiring and added a touch of simply iconic. It’s packed with ideas and information so you can make the most of your time here.
We’ve also offered recommendations for great food and shopping as well as places to watch unforgettable sunrises and sunsets, so you really can plan every moment of your adventurous days.
Your week of adventure in Byron Bay starts here!
Follow this with Beachfront Yoga from 7am every day at Heart of the Bay then a delicious hot and cold buffet breakfast at Azure Bar and Grill in the Main Pavillion. If you’d prefer an aerial view of the day’s beginning, take flight in a Hot Air Balloon with Byron Bay Ballooning.
Gently lifting off before dawn into the early morning sky, enjoy an hour’s flight before touching down for a champagne breakfast.
- $279/person, including champagne breakfast following the flight
- Total trip time: 45-60 mins approx. Sunrise Balloon Flight
- Meet pre-dawn at Hangar 1, Tyagarah Airfield, a 15-minute drive from the resort.
- Book a taxi through Elements Reception, if required
- $150/person, including gear (book online)
- Total trip time: 2.5 hours (50 mins dive time)
- Meet at Byron Bay Dive Centre, 9 Marvell Street, Byron Bay
- $75/person (book online)
- Total trip time: 2-2.5 hours
- Tours depart daily at 9:30am and 1:30pm
- Pick up available.
For experienced divers, Byron Bay Dive Centre also run regular dive trips, three times daily.
To stay above the waves and glide alongside dolphins, choose a sea kayak tour. Lasting around three hours, this guided tour will keep you enthralled with stories of Byron Bay as you pass Australia’s most easterly point, always on the lookout for bottle-nosed dolphins.
As you head back to shore, experience surfing in a kayak – guaranteed to leave you exhilarated!
Learn to cruise into shore on white-crested waves with surf lessons with Let’s Go Surfing. With the basics mastered, explore the range of great surfing beaches along this stunning coastline!
Spend the rest of your mornings paddling out into the big blue to experience the beauty of an early morning surf
For an even bigger adrenaline kick, why not follow your surf lesson by adding in some serious airtime. Powered by the wind, Kitesurfing is a high speed version of surfing, punctuated with big air and inevitable shrieks of joy.
To reach any of the beaches in town, take the Byron Train. This world-first fully solar-powered train even includes free luggage space for surfboards.
North beach Station is only a short walk from Elements of Byron and the journey into town takes just 10 minutes. Tickets are $3 each way, see the Byron Train timetable here.
- $65/lesson (book online)
- Total Trip time: 3 hours (2 hours in the water)
- Meet at the Wreck Surf Shop, 6/4 Jonson Street, Byron Bay
- Get there on the Byron Train, a 2-minute walk from Byron Beach station.
- $250/lesson (book online)
- Total trip time: 2 hours
- Lessons begin from 2pm onwards in Byron Bay (location confirmed at booking)
How fast can memories be made? How about in under a minute!
Jump from a plane at 15,000ft above Byron Bay and reach speeds of 200km/h as you discover skydiving in Byron Bay.
This exhilarating freefall lasts around 60 seconds, before your parachute opens and you’re guided back to earth by the experienced instructor.
With regular tandem flights from 7am each morning, there’s no need to limit yourself to just one jump either.
- From $359/jump
- Total trip time: around 60 seconds!
- Meet at Skydive Byron Bay site at Hangar 1, Tyagarah Airfield, a 15-minute drive from the resort.
- Book a taxi through Elements Reception
Back on land, take time out to explore the native coastal landscape, featuring native rainforest and endless beach.
For an exhilarating way to explore, go horse riding with Zephyr Horses. This unique coastal ranch is located adjacent to Elements of Byron, and offers tours from sunrise to sunset most days.
Choose from trotting through forest trails, cantering along the sand or tours that take in both! This is surely the most exhilarating way to witness this extraordinary coastline.
For a slower pace, join a Guided Rainforest Walk through the resort’s trails.
Led by our local ranger, you’ll discover the secrets of this landscape and its wildlife. These engaging tours are bound to inspire you to look again at your surroundings with a more knowledgeable eye.
- From starting from $150/person (book online)
- Total Trip Time: approx. 2 hours
- Meet at 144 Bayshore Drive, Byron Bay, 2 minutes’ walk from Elements of Byron
Guided Rainforest Walk
- Free (exclusive to Elements of Byron guests)
- Total trip time: 45-60 mins
- Meet at Elements of Byron Reception – ask about tour times or book a private tour
- Total trip Time: 5-6 hour hike (return)
- Trailhead is a 1-hour drive from Elements of Byron
- Stop at Mavis’ Kitchen after your hike for fantastic country food.
Our last memorable day recommendation? To stand on top of the world – or at least the Byron Bay region!
Wollumbin Mount Warning is a mountain that was once part of the enormous Tweed Shield Volcano.
Its distinctive summit is reachable in around 2-3 hours, with a rock scramble at the end that makes the panoramic summit views all-the-more satisfying.
For dinner with a view, head to Beach Restaurant. This fine dining location overlooks Clarke’s Beach and the bay, offering a refined menu that celebrates modern Australian cuisine, local produce and coastal flavours.
A different perspective can be found at Three Blue Ducks. Diners overlook the 80-acre farm on the edge of Byron Bay where much of the produce found on the menu is grown. The menu itself is full of Australian classics, expertly prepared with an artisan’s eye for detail.
Byron’s most adventurous bars
For a place befitting a true adventurer, head to The Bolt Hole. With over 200 whiskeys, gins, rums and artisanal spirits from around the world, sip something special while relaxing into a leather armchair.
Alternatively, imagine yourself far away by heading to the lively Mez Club, where their exquisite signature cocktails are served with an authentic Turkish twist.
But one of Byron’s best night spots is right here, at Elements of Byron. With crackling flames floating on a water base under the canopy of stars, recline with a cocktail or glass of wine in hand around our Fire Pit.
And then take the short walk back to your villa, ready to rest ahead of your next day of adventure in Byron Bay.
Want more inspiration for things to do in Byron Bay? Check out our Ultimate Guide to Byron Bay.